IT'S A PRETTY GREAT WALL...
Sorry for that dad joke, but it couldn't be helped.
The Great Wall has been around for more than 2000 years, and it's still standing. You may know about the Great Wall of China, but have you visited this architectural marvel yet? The historical wall snakes its way across the Northern border of China. This magnificent wall holds the world record for being the longest wall that man has ever built. If you include every section ever made, its total length adds up to a staggering 13,170 miles (21,196 kilometers). The wall is a series of fortifications that are of varying heights and thickness. The wall height ranges from 15 feet up to 39 feet and its widest section is an impenetrable 32 feet thick.
In honor of the Great Wall of China being one of the Seven Wonders of the world, here are seven reasons you need to visit!
1. It's one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Do I need to say more than that? Among the new seven wonders of the world, the Great Wall of China ranks first. It's also most commonly known for being the longest wall made by man. The Great Wall is nothing short of extraordinary- it's even visible from space.
2. You can learn about Chinese history and Chinese culture. The Great Wall of China is a national symbol. It's a standing testament of Chinese history that dates back more than 2000 years. If you were already going to visit China, you need to visit the Great Wall. A tour of China without seeing the great wall isn't a complete tour of China.
3. It's beautiful! The wall is surrounded by mountains covered in foliage that boasts an array of different hues depending on the season. Just the terrific natural scenery should be enough reason to visit the wall at least once in your lifetime.
4. The pictures you can take are excellent, and the memories you'll make are even better! If you're into photography, the Great Wall should be on your list to visit.
5. It's an adventure. There are certain sections of the wall that are made for travelers who want a challenge. Sections such as Jiankou provide a challenging climb that will test your courage, strength, and endurance. Make sure you're energized and fully prepared before you take on these sections of the wall.
6. Take time to reflect. The most popular sections of the wall take on average 2 hours to hike. If you plan on visiting the wall alone and choose to visit during the summer when there's a significant drop in the number of tourists, you can use this time to reflect and feel free while you enjoy the fantastic nature and fresh air.
7. The wall is excellent for all types of travelers. Whether you're hiking alone or with a group, you'll have nothing but fun climbing along the top of the wall.
The perfect time to visit the Great Wall of China is the beginning of May and October, which means that the wall will be the most crowded during these times. If you plan to visit the Great Wall, autumn is the perfect season to visit the Great Wall. September to November is arguably the most beautiful time to visit. The clear skies and golden landscape, along with the absence of the summer rains, the drier and much more comfortable climate, make it the perfect time to visit the Great Wall of China.